Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New found FOBness!

Hey all. I wish I could program some sort of catchy lead up for this one! A drum roll maybe. Cause this blog is silly, unimportant and still I wanted to mention it here, just to run away from all the seriousness of work and other things.

So what's with the title? I recently added another word to my rather outdated vocabulary. Something that wasn't present even in those 4000 GRE words I crammed to get here. Its called FOBness or FOBnes. In the following paragraphs, I'll talk about how I "discovered" this word! (Talk about blogging about anything and turning into something of my liking)

The other day a couple of friends and I went to watch a movie at a theater in Albany. I felt like I was going to Inox on MG road, Pune until I reached the car park. A stark difference. That was India, this is America. You can tell from the car park! Apart from other things of course. So we bought tickets, a "small" (read Extra Large) cup of Coke, and finally a place to sit in the movie hall. And then trailers began. One after the other, until the last one. Where they showed the title of the movie we actually went to watch. Forgetting for a minute or two about my geographic orientation and location, I asked my friend on the right, "So hey, what about the national anthem before the movie?", and I wasn't being sarcastic or trying to be a wise crack. I genuinely thought there would be one! Hey, 4 years of Pune! What did I know! My friend, who's been here for 3 years, laughs and says "There IS no national anthem! Such FOBness I tell ya!" And that my friend, is the beginning of many FOB-ical blunders in this land of white, black, thin, fat, anorexic, bulimic, and generally ok people!

Anyway, the FOB in FOBness is short for "Fresh off the Boat"! Now you know where this blog is going! If any of you guys have read "The Inscrutable Americans", you know what am talking about! I feel like am straight out of the book, coming so far away with home made pickles, masalas, and stainless steel vessels! There have been other instances too where I've made a complete fool of myself and proud of it too :) Oh, the joy of small things!

Is it that silly to make a fool of one's self, I asked myself. Apparently, if it makes someone laugh, its totally worth it! So, in this gloomy weather, I've decided to not stop myself from being a clown, if it brings some cheer around! Who wants to wait till Christmas? And at the end of the day, it IS alright to feel like a kid, when we ain't getting any younger. With assignments and grading sheets piling up, FOBness came to my rescue because it gave me something to smile about and remind myself that I don't have to be serious all the time!

Thanks RKP for this, because it really kept my mind off other things! It always does when you mention it :)

Be stupid, be cranky, who gives a rat's a#@ anyway if it makes you and someone else grin like it's nobody's business!

6 comments:

Atul said...

keep up sumu... liked it!!

Unknown said...

haha nice work!!

Mrunal said...

Superliked "it IS alright to feel like a kid, when we ain't getting any younger " ..Its the best feeling rather!

Unknown said...

YO!!! I love to be silly quite often ;). With your post, it inspires me to be more so like that :-)

Vatsal said...

Very nice approach sumu :):)enjoy work and have lots n lots of fun there ..

Shriniket said...

Haha.. Nice one..
Stay the desi girl!! :)