Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rhythm and Blues!

Just like the name says, my life's all full of rhythm and blues! Every day is a bohemian rhapsody of this and that, I'd like to think! Blues, well you have been reading my blogs long enough to know what that means right?! Anyway, this blog is dedicated to one of my dear school friends who said “but why don't you write about something happy for a change? ", and then, this blog happened :)

Those of you who know me well know that music and I are inseparable. As much as I love writing, I love my music and am proud of my little collection too. From Bob Marley to the Offsprings, you name it, I would love it! I have to mention Dire Straits here. Dire Straits, sigh. I remember the first time I fell in love with Dire Straits. A long car ride from Palani in Tamil Nadu to Cochin. There was happiness in the air. Cool breeze in my hair. Mountains all around and my brother’s cd playing THE “Sultans of swing”. And then came “Romeo and Juliet” followed by “Brothers in arms”. I have always been very receptive to all kinds of genres. But guys, Dire Straits definitely topped my charts! If you love Dire Straits, you just have to love Mark Knopfler and “Sailing to Philadelphia” and “Silver town blues”. I was 17 and I was in love, with this overwhelming feeling that came over me ever since my first Dire Straits experience. Then came Santana. Need I say anything about Santana? Let me tell you this, your music gives away your personality. That’s what I have come to learn. If you are open to a little western influx and their music, there really is no end to the depths of this musical journey. And the more you are open to experimenting with music, then I think it shows that you are open to a lot of other things. For example, people stuck on Britney’s Pears (:P) will always love the likes of “Aqua” and “Spice Girls” ! Give them some Led Zep and they’d shoot you! If there are any of you who enjoy both, then please mail me and tell me I am wrong, I’ll take back what I said! Clearly, I am no one to argue which is better, because, we know, different people, different tastes. To me, the people I get along so well with are people who really love their music and share the same tastes if not better. It is however foolish to make friends based on similar tastes and interests, because then you’re always stuck in the same rut (sometimes). So after I came to Pune, I can say I’ve had the best of both worlds! People who love what I love and people who can’t stand what I love, but I can put up with theirs! I love my Jimi Hendrix and I love my Bollywood too!

Having said all the above, I don’t for a minute enjoy heavy metal and “Gangsta Rap”! I wouldn’t be caught dead listening to that! I did however go for the Campus Rock Idol, Pune in my first year of college. Just for the experience and just for some mental keepsakes! It was a great experience! I didn’t like the music much but the whole ambience and the crowd scared the bejesus out of me! The crowd made a moshpit and was dragging everyone into it! That’s something I’ll never forget! I can’t even imagine how an Iron Maiden concert would be like! Maybe if I enjoy it enough, I’ll someday go to one :)

Oh I almost forgot the most important of my childhood memories! Dad and I used to go for these drives on Sundays, and the music playing through the speakers of the car was nothing other than “I prefer the moonlight” by Kenny Rogers! I never understood the words, so I used to sing “Apple side a mooooonlight”!! Thinking of it cracks my folks up big time! Kenny Rogers has since then been close to my heart for all those lovely days gone by! Dad and I often listen and sing along to the likes of Neil Diamond, Carpenters and Kenny Rogers when we’re home. That’s why I love Country and Western just as much as anything else! Not to mention the 24*7 Worldspace station, “Jazz Greats and Great Jazz” that dad listens to from 7pm irrespective of whether there’s anybody listening to it, including himself! Too bad Worldspace went bankrupt. Dad was one of its best customers!

Music... My good old friend, my mood lifter, my unborn twin, my lover, my life, you have always been by my side. I don’t know what I’d do without you!

Come, as you are. As you were.
As I want you to be. As a friend.
As a friend. As an old enemy. Take your time.
Hurry up. The choice is yours. Don't be late.
Take a rest. As a friend. As an old memory, memory, memory, memory.
(Nirvana)

P.S : I was also a Spice Girl once upon a long time ago ;)

7 comments:

Casey Nestor Fernandez said...

Spice girl! Hmmm... the name suits you well. Anyways, finally something about music. I was wondering when you were gonna get around to it.

sum said...

Its finally here :) I told you the day would come!

swapnil patil said...

if u haven't, den listen outlandish band... u ll love it...n sum pop like david guetta n daniel bedingfield

sum said...

hehe listened to all that so long ago..

V.K.Madhav Mohan said...

Music is always in the air and in the heart! The lovely rhythms of jazz...aaah. Beautufully expressed thoughts on music!

sum said...

Thanks Papa!

Onkar Bhardwaj said...

The Nirvana song you mentioned is simply amazing!